From:
Terry Ballard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2013 13:04:09 -0400
Arianne,

   Thanks!  I sent a note to Beth Dominianni, director of the Mark Twain
Library in Redding and got this prompt response:

"In answer to your question:  The statuette you saw was designed by Walter
Russell as a model for a monument to be erected at Hannibal, Missouri.  In
the late 1920s Russell was appointed by the Mark Twain Centennial
Commission of Hannibal to do a sculpture  to be ready for 1935.    The
depression interfered and the monument was not built.   I don’t have
information on exactly what year the statuette model was created.  But it
was done by Russell and we are fortunate to own it."

   Congratulations on nailing the Russell connection. Maybe future
Twainians will find the resources to create this monument in Hannibal for
the Twain Bicentennial. Something to think about....

Terry