From:
MARK DAWIDZIAK <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MARK DAWIDZIAK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2016 18:12:06 +0000
I admit to enjoying this discussion immensely and going back and forth on near certainty. I love a mystery, and I think that's what we've got. At first glance, I would have said that Susy is the girl in front and on the left. She has the stronger resemblance to the younger Susy. The profile, to me, seems closer to Susy's Bryn Mawr picture. But I also thought about that picture of serious Susy taken on the Quarry Farm porch when Clara was on the tour with her parents. That's definitely Susy with Aunt Sue, Bim Pond and the dogs -- and, yes, she does resemble the girl on the right in the wagon picture. Also, the girl in the foreground and on the left looks younger (another argument for it being Clara). But I've also noticed that, in their early 20s, Susy and Clara could resemble each other, particularly when looking straight into the camera and when their hair was pulled back. Then again, you also can compare pictures of the girl on the right with pictures of Clara taken during the round-the-world lecture tour and after Susy's death, and, again, you'd get a good resemblance. Someone has pointed out that Susy almost always looked solemn in pictures at any age, but neither girl is smiling, so that doesn't help, either. So after kicking this back and forth and forth and back, I'm going with Twain's replay to a Bixby question in "Life on the Mississippi": "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly and I did. I said I didn't know."