From:
Steve Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:06:07 -0500
Hal -- Thanks so much for your kind words.

The biography, I hope, portrays Twichell as a three-dimensional figure -- a "man in full" as Wally Lamb put it in his generous blurb -- and as student, soldier, pastor, civic leader, advocate of children and family man. It should help cast light on the Clemens-Twichell friendship, but also portrays Twichell as a figure in Hartford, that wealthy, quirky city of the Gilded Age, in which he had an important role outside his fame as "Mark Twain's Pastor." It also places him in the context of the evolving religious life of New England in that era, which you treat so well in your essay in A Historical Guide to Mark Twain.

It is intended as a narrative that will suit the lay reader unfamiliar with Twichell or the details of Clemens' biography, as well as the academic reader, who can take the events I describe in any analytical direction that seems appropriate.

Steve

Steve Courtney7 Union St.Terryville, CT [log in to unmask]> Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 11:29:55 -0600> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Joe Twichell biography> To: [log in to unmask]> > Steve has worked so very hard over the years on Twichell; as such, he is a> man after some of the things in my own heart. I really look forward to> reading your book this summer. Way to go, Steve.> > In case some LIST members are unaware: Steve has put some wonderful pieces> about Twichell & Twain on the web over the years-- they are at the Asylum> Hill website:> > www.ahcc.org/TwainTwichellStories.htm> > In terms of a preview of the biography: What specific aspects of Joe> Twichell that you believe your volume will bring to light in new and> important ways?> > How does your volume revise our understanding of Joe Twichell?> > > > Dr. Harold K. Bush, Jr., Associate Professor> Dept. of English> Saint Louis University> St. Louis, MO 63108> [log in to unmask]> 314-977-3616 (w); 314-771-6795 (h) 314-495-4094 (cell)> <www.slu.edu/colleges/AS/ENG/faculty/hbush.html>> > Memorable Quote Until Further Notice:> > "The life of the creative man is lead, directed and controlled by boredom.> Avoiding boredom is one of our most important purposes."> > -- Susan Sontag