From:
Alan Kitty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2013 13:33:01 -0400
Thus vetted, I have no doubt someone will likely do what you suggest.  With that in mind, I have been working on a script, but may be too old to perform it myself. It could become a two actor piece.

In my current show, I do the opposite by presenting a time-traveling Twain with opinions and anecdotes both known and posthumous (theatrically an intriguing prospect inasmuch as Twain's thinking retains its relevance today)  I anxiously await Volumes II and III of the Autobiography.

AK

On Aug 20, 2013, at 12:37 PM, Terry Ballard wrote:

> Agreed that a younger Twain would bring some fresh air into what has turned
> out to be a well-plowed field. Looking at MT's writings in his San
> Francisco newspaper days, he had plenty of the fire and wit that would make
> him famous eventually, so an actor portraying a young Clemens could even be
> authentic. There are still endless possibilities for one-person author
> shows that don't involve Twain at all. Imagine Sam Beckett Night after
> Night after Night..., William Shakespeare tomorrow and tomorrow and
> tomorrow, or even Charles Bukowski tonight (I think it's tonight). Holbrook
> started off by vetting his act with people who knew Twain, and it is a
> national treasure that can never be replicated.
>

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Carl J. Chimi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hmm.  The difference between the lightning bug and the lightning...
>>
>> Personally, I wish actors would stop thinking the only Mark Twain worth
>> port=
>> raying is the iconic, old, white-suited Mark Twain.  I'd sort of like to
>> see=
>> portrayals of him as he was in the 1860s, 1870s, and 1880s on the stage.
>>
>> Putting him in a white suit and old makeup just invites comparison to Hal
>> Ho=
>> lbrook, whom I first saw as Mark Twain on a stage in Boston over 40 years
>> ag=
>> o.  No one is going to survive that comparison, not even a relatively
>> accomp=
>> lished actor like Val Kilmer.
>>
>> My .02.
>>
>> Carl
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Aug 19, 2013, at 8:31 PM, Dwayne Eutsey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> http://imgur.com/a/oVUBH/all
>>

> --
>

> Terry Ballard
> Author and Leisure Studies Manager