From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 2015 13:27:03 -0800
Mark Twain rode on the Great Northern Railroad from Spokane to Seattle
in 1895, on his way to Victoria BC and his around the world tour.
"Following the Equator" makes no mention of it and "Eccentricities of
Genius" takes less than a paragraph to describe their crossing the
Cascades.

This part of the trip, however, would have been quite spectacular with
track hanging over precipices and requiring switchbacks, sharp turns and
steep grades to accomplish.  Mark Twain, according to Major Pond, rode
with the engineer.

I would be very grateful if anyone knows of any comments Twain might
have written about this journey.  I have received information on what
the trip was probably like for Twain, based on a very knowledgeable
source on this railroad.  It's not likely he had much opportunity to
talk with the railroad men, given the workload they had in accomplishing
this crossing, but the scenery and his appreciation for piloting must
have impressed him.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have access to his journals.

Thanks