From:
Jim Zwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 11:37:14 +0000
I have put a paper I presented at last week's American Studies
Association / Canadian Association for American Studies conference
online:

The Contested Public Memory of an American Icon: Mark Twain's
Anti-Imperialist Writings
http://www.accinet.net/~fjzwick/twain/contested.html

It deals with how Twain's anti-imperialist writings were suppressed,
selectively censored by Paine, debated during the Cold War, and
revived as antiwar writings from the 1960s onward.  It was part of a
panel entitled "Battles After the War: Re-Visions of the
Philippine-American War in Cultural Narratives of Race and Empire."
The panel was chaired by Shelley Fisher Fishkin and also included
the following papers:

Nerissa S. Balce, "Public Images, Emergent Histories: Narrating
Empire and Filipino American History"

Jean Vengua Gier, "Incorporating Filipinos into the War Effort: The
_Bataan_ Films"

I hope to have these papers online later in the month.

If anyone knows of additional examples of how Twain's
anti-imperialist writings have been used after his death, I would be
very interested in hearing about them.  Thanks in advance.

Jim Zwick
http://www.accinet.net/~fjzwick/
http://marktwain.miningco.com/