From:
Richard Tuerk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 1994 13:11:03 -0500
All of the discussion of _A Conn. Yankee_ has made me decide to do something
I've been thinking about for a good many years: this summer, I intend to
teach
a graduate course on Mark Twain and L. Frank Baum.  I'm familiar with
several
essays that compare Dorothy's journey on the Yellow Brick Road to the
journey
of Huck and Jim down the Mississippi River.  Does anyone know off hand of
anything comparing other works by Twain with anything by Baum?  At least on
the surface, Hank's overall journey seems in many ways similar (and in many
ways dissimilar) to Dorothy's journey.  Both, for example, radically change
the societies they travel to; however, Dorothy clearly changes things for
the
better; Hank seems to make things worse.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

RICHARD TUERK
EAST TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY