From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2019 14:40:06 +0000
Good morning folks,

I agree with Kevin, and can recommend seeing this file.  The 2 lead actors are excellent and it is a compelling story based on real characters.   But in all honesty I knew immediately upon seeing it that certain elements of the film would receive much criticism in our climate today -- in particular, the "white folks to the rescue" theme.  To give another example, think Mississippi Burning.  Even the X-Men series has gotten some heat on this issue.

Personally I was powerfully moved by Green Book, including the film's ending sequence of a white family embracing and welcoming a lonely African American man into their holiday feast.  Nevertheless I recognized immediately how quickly these scenes, and others, would be "problematized" and probably even chastized in our cultural climate -- and I told my wife this, in the after film conversation in the car going home.  I would welcome other responses on here about the film, since it seems to be yet another symptom, or perhaps if we are positive another teachable moment, about these rather perplexing and critically loaded topics in our world today....

Dr. Hal Bush

Dept. of English

Saint Louis University

314-977-3616