From:
Jacquie Britton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 12:30:05 -0800
I just finished watching the Ken Burns "Mark Twain" on PBS tonight.  I
watched it with a group of people some of them students, and others were
not.  All of us knew who he was but unfortunately, I was the only one who is
somewhat obsessed with his life and writings.  I am a history major at CSUS
and a senior in class status as well as age.

Some of my friends commented they learned things about his life they hadn't
known before and all enjoyed it.  I on the other hand was slightly
disappointed that instead of being a program in depth, it was a fluff piece
that hit on the high points and glanced briefly at those.  His childhood
which was important in his writings was given less then fifteen minutes.
They mentioned important things about his parents, but yet so little.  His
life in the Mother Lode was gleaned over almost as if it wasn't important
except for the "Jumping Frog of Calavaras County."  They did not mention the
fact that he lived a while with Bret Hart and both almost starved to death
while they panned for gold AND writing.  The rest of his life was also
fluffed over.

I think of the rest of the programs Ken Burns produced, "The Jazz Age," the
series on baseball, the west, all of these were given more indepth coverage
and I for one, expected so much more.  What are other thoughts on this
program, I am curious...

Claywoman

Author of:
Clouds Are the Creator's Fingerprints