From:
Terrell Dempsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 20:17:22 -0600
Dear Friends, you might be interested to see what Mrs. Minnie Smith and
President Annie Dixon of the Hannibal chapter of the NAACP had to say about
Hannibal history during Sunday's Martin Luther King commemoration.  You can
read the entire story at:
http://www.hannibal.net/stories/012003/hap_0120030034.shtml

The pertinent part about the Clemens's Home is as follows:

Dixon calls for black history representation at Twain museum

Following the same vein, Annie Dixon, president of the local chapter of the
NAACP, said, "We need to be mindful of what is happening in Hannibal." She
believes that the black history of Hannibal should be represented at the
Mark Twain Museum, which includes memorabilia from other segments of the
community.

"In the Mark Twain Museum you see nothing that resembles that blacks were
here, then or now. The Mark Twain Foundation Board is asking Judge Robert
Clayton II to rule that the Sunshine Law does not apply to them. They are a
private board, but they handle public property. We must let Judge Clayton
know he can not allow them (board members) to get rid of the Sunshine Law.

"We've been here all our life and there is nothing to show for it. It will
take a community to solve this problem," Dixon said, while challenging those
gathered to get involved in the process.

Terrell Dempsey