From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2014 09:14:18 -0500
Folks;  one of the old chestnuts of Twain biography, I suppose, is the
notion that Susy was his  "favorite child" or "most favored daughter."  I
am among those who have said as much.  Now, working through this material
once again, it strikes me--was she??  I'm fairly certain there are quotes
to that effect but I am presently unable to unearth any.  I'd be happy to
quote from various biographers and critics to that effect but I think most
of you get the picture.

Can we say for certain that Susy was his favorite?  Or is that another
effect of the echo chamber of earlier scholars and biographers?  Opinions
and/or actual evidence is invited... --Hal B.

--
Prof. Harold K. Bush
Professor of English