From:
Jim Zwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 18:22:34 -0500
The recent controversy that erupted after George Bush made a campaign
stop at Bob Jones University might provide an interesting current example
of religion being used to justify racism, in this case a policy forbidding
interracial dating.  The president of the university has just officially ended
the policy.  There's an article about this with links to related materials at:

Bob Jones Bends
http://racerelations.about.com/library/weekly/aa030600a.htm

Here's a relevant excerpt: "Jonathan Pait, the university's community
relations coordinator, reiterated their policy [before it was ended] all the
while maintaining that, 'Although there is no verse in the Bible that
dogmatically says that races should not intermarry, the whole plan of God
as He has dealt with the races down through the ages indicates that
interracial marriage is not best for man. We do believe we see principles,
not specific verses, to give us direction for the avoidance of it.'"

There's a link to the full letter which has a more detailed explanation of the
school's interpretation of God's will.  I don't know how widespread those
beliefs are but they certainly didn't end with slavery or even with
segregation.

Jim Zwick
http://www.boondocksnet.com/
http://marktwain.about.com/