From:
David H Fears <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:44:55 EDT
In a message dated 10/30/2007 2:20:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Too  often, readers look at Clemens in absolutes.  The idea that "The
focus  on the negative can produce a distorted  picture of the man" is,  I
think, one of those absolutes.  We could also say that "The focus on  the
positives -- on joy to the exclusion of sorrow, of family peace at  the
exclusion of the reality of human relationships -- also leads to  a
distorted picture of the man."

Michael J.  Kiskis

Perhaps the good professor missed the operative word in my comment--CAN. I
fail to see how such a statement is an absolute. Perhaps he too read between
the  lines and saw "has to" instead of "can." My point is, many of the
biographical/psychological treatments of Samuel L. Clemens distort by
"judicious"
selection of those statements (yes, Barb, even by reading the lines
themselves)
events, and experiences which support the writer's  cause/theme/POV. Nothing
wrong with that in an of itself, I suppose, still the  image of a "dark and
tormented" Clemens is not a balanced one. I merely  attempted to point out
that
the man also felt exhilaration, joy, contentment and  peace throughout his
life. One cannot present the post 1900 Clemens as the  complete picture,
even. Now
that is an absolute. Do with it what you will.

David H Fears