From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2015 14:38:26 -0500
There's a lot more to commend the AMT3 than the Ashcroft Lyon MS, of course,
but that alone would be reason enough the buy the volume. After all the
armchair psychology over the years, it's satisfying to finally read it
first-hand and draw my own conclusions. Others may (and have in the past)
drawn other conclusions, but it strikes me as the sincere writing of a man
rightfully very angry and deeply hurt by a betrayal, at times a rant, of
course, and sometimes spreading blame. It's not a work of fiction scribbled
by a raving lunatic, but instead a form of self-therapy, a way of getting it
off his chest without resorting to less healthy means like whiskey or
violence. I too find it telling that Lyon returned some manuscripts and
thereafter kept her mouth shut. I also find Jean's report of the
confrontation at the Lobster Pot revealing--that Lyon was apologizing. The
guilty often don't apologize for what they've done, but how often do the
innocent apologize for something they did not do? I don't discount the
insights offered by previous (and future) readers of this account--they are
well worth reading--but for a balanced view I suggest every Twainian read
the original and then review Michael Shelden's account in MT: Man in White.

I hope we all have Lyon's diaries to read some day. I think the key 1909
volume is missing and what survives shows clear evidence of her revising her
text in later years in interesting ways. It would be interesting to line
them up side-by-side, in toto, including the dull sections on routine
events, with all the other evidence.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books