From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2013 17:22:53 -0500
In my article I explain all of that in detail, just as you say, but leeward
(pronounced "loowerd") scuppers were in fact treated like sewer drains on
19th century sailing vessels. When a ship's cook would gut fish they'd do it
by the lee scuppers so the entrails could be washed overboard.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive