From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2014 22:18:29 -0600
An interesting article. Without disputing anything said in that article I'd
add that the earliest Chinese translations of Twain were not the little
political satire discussed in the article, rather some of the same works
that were popular all around the world in those years --The Gilded Age in
1915, an extract from Answers to Correspondents in 1931 (I seem to own the
only recorded copy, a parallel English/Chinese text in miniature book
format), Tom Sawyer in 1934, Prince and the Pauper in 1937, and a couple of
short story collections in 1934. I think all of these were published in
Shanghai. OCLC records a few more from the 1940s-50s, but of course there's
no indication of what was being read in schools like the piece cited in the
article. I think it would be interesting to trace the timing of these
publications with political and cultural changes taking place in China in
those years to see how they might be related. Tracing the contents of the
story collections might be challenging since OCLC records very few copies in
libraries. Hey, I'm just tossing this out there as a possble topic for a
paper at the next Elmira conference. If somebody tackles it, I promise to
attend that session, heck or high water.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive