From:
Ron Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:20:34 -0500
I was pleased to see Camy's question about the Mark Twain humor award,
because the same question, or concern, came up today in a golfing group
that included two Elmira teachers who have taught Twain, and also
because Camy usually provokes some comments that are fun to hear.  I
too have had in the past this question in mind, only to conclude that
perhaps some such as Prior and Carlin deserve to be in the shadow of
Mark Twain.  Others, especially those who don't even write their own
material, simply tell me that great comedy today is scarce.  As for
Jules' curt remark ("there has been considerable amount of e-mail about
this in previous years"), it seems to imply that there is a statute of
limitations that each should be aware of.  Most of us don't keep such
records, and it would automatically exclude anyone fairly new to the
Forum.  Or was the remark directed toward Hal, Terry, David or others
for responding to such a question.  I'm really, as always, enjoying
their remarks.  Correct and forgive me Jules if I'm making this wrong
inference, but I get the feeling that the remark also implies some
elitist idea that scholars' opinions shouldn't be provoked by ordinary
folk like Camy, Jules, or me.  Anyway, if one goes back through this
year, Camy has provoked more interesting reading from answers to her
questions than have most people on the Forum.  (By the way, these are
similar to questions always asked of visiting Mark Twain scholars at
Quarry Farm, posed by some very bright people, and the scholars are
always delighted to answer.)  Incidentally, it's much easier for most
of us to seek Twain info through Googling or whatever than it is for
Camy who must use an automated system.  Camy, keep up the passion!  You
provoke  thoughts worth reading!
-- Ron