From:
wes britton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
wes britton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2009 15:39:58 -0400
To add my own two cents, I earned my doctorate in American Lit back in 1990.
I have taught precious little Am Lit ever since. None at all for 10 years.
Reason Number One is that I came out just as the reliance on part-time
adjuncts began and that situation has snowballed to the point I'd advise no
future student to pursue this profession, unless they plan on marrying well.
In the article that inspired this discussion, the figure of 1 in 6 positions
is taught by part-timers. Well, if he means teaching literature, that's
possible-full-timers tend to take all the lit courses, leaving adjuncts all
the bread-and-butter courses. In the community college district where I
teach, we have whole campuses of nothing but adjuncts.

Over the past 10 years, I've observed a few matters no doubt getting out to
prospective English majors. First, there's a huge division between the haves
and have-nots in Central Pennsylvania-that is, full-timers fight like tigers
to prevent adjuncts from having any say in or benefits from their college
service. The major reason is that we're so numerous we might vote down
something full-timers might like, whatever that might be. Never did figure
that one out. So large segments of the English faculty are completely
disconnected from what's going on. We come, we leave, we are not part of the
community. The point is that the English faculty won't take care of its own,
much less the administration.

Still, I've been around long enough to know that full-timers here spend next
to no time dealing with discussing or debating any literary theory that
doesn't have multi-cultural resonances. In the past 10 years, I can think of
precious few conversations in hallways, offices, or division meetings that
didn't deal with how to avoid statistical assessments of what we do, debate
the "shared governance" doctrine here, or how to use new technological
tools. In short, if there's any vitality to present literature, you wouldn't
pick it up from the English faculty. In fact, I've asked about certain
authors and have heard-"Read a novel! I have too much committee work to read
a novel cover to cover!" More than once.

Which leads to my final point. To establish "relevance," you'd think we'd
need to demonstrate literature is still a vital part of American culture,
not a collection of artifacts that ended with Toni Morrison. Book sales,
especially those in fiction, are abysmal, especially among males who like
certain genres, you can guess what they might be. Book publishers seek
tricks to pull in readers like publishing print text connected with online
chapters or Google maps to make reading more "interactive."  I do know when
my full-time colleagues look for literature to use in comp classes-we have
but a handful of out-and-out lit classes-the major factor is the page count.

This semester, while students introduced themselves on the first day, I
heard the first student in many a year identify herself as an English major.
"Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that," I joked. "I know," she said, "that's what
everyone says."  I admit, I am sorry for her, no joke.  Right now, there's
beauty and majesty in the river she sees before her. It won't be long before
she learns the real debates are whether or not the MLA citation style has
improved or declined, whether online courses should be a separate division
or controlled by the departments they represent, or how to appease the
accreditation folks and limit the paperwork for the faculty at the same time
. . .

Twain? Someone teaches him in the "Banned Books" class. I know my
officemates have never read "The War Prayer." So I'll let lofty folks with
lofty places debate the value of the humanities. My life is getting students
to craft interesting thesis sentences, come up with smooth transitions, that
sort of thing.