From:
Robert E Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:59:42 -0400
Writing in the Sacramento Daily Union of November 3, 1865, theater critic
John Paul used a phrase I found interesting relative to Twain's  humor--"the
strength of the soil." And Paul also presupposes the  challenge we face
today. The long article is titled simply "Letter from San  Francisco," and
covers a variety of topics. Toward the end, Paul writes:

"To my thinking Shakespeare had no more idea that he was writing for
posterity than Mark Twain has at the present time, and it sometimes amuses me to
think how future mark Twain's scholars will puzzle over that gentleman's
present  hieroglyphics and occasionally eccentric expressions. Apropos of
Twain, who is a  man of Mark, I am glad to see that his humor has met with
recognition at the  East, and that mention is made of him in that critical
journal, the Round Table.  They may talk of course humor, if they please, but in
his case it is simply the  strength of the soil--the germ is there and it
sprouts good and strong. To my  mind Mark Twain. . .[is one of]. . .the wild
Humorists of the Pacific."

p. 2, cols 4-5. The article is online at cdnc.ucr.edu

Bob Stewart
Carson City