From:
Mike Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:25:53 PST
At 10:03 AM 2/21/97 -0800, Gregg Camfield wrote:

>The literate .... were actively considering whether or not the conclusions
>of geology, archeology and astronomy  required changes in religious faith.

> ...his use of "science" was much like that of Huxley, in that it
>promoted a skeptical agenda.  Given that a large portion of the literate
>population of Clemens's day used science in exactly the opposite way, is
>it really fair to say that his use of science was typical even if we agree
>that his understanding of it was not extraordinary?

You are continuing
 the lucid flowing stream!
Here is a little boulder
 for variety.

Was Twain's use of science as grounds for a skeptical view... typical?

In one sense, anyway -- typical of a very good *part* of the literati and
scientists, too.

Many people still use science to continue believing what they will.
Yet, Belief and Will blur together in practice ....one is a "Yes-man" for
the other.
("Belief" is from Anglo-Saxon for "strong wish," according to  Alan Watts.)

Louis Pasteur emphasized,"To let the Will direct Belief is the greatest
disorder of mind."

 Pasteur  (1822-1895)  advanced the theory of microbes
 and helped conquer them with vaccines and "Pasteurization."

Others, less skeptical of Dark Ages dogma,  argued (some still do)
 that certain diseases are sent from Heaven as a human resources management
program.

Mike Pearson