Date:

I am a new postgraduate at the University of Sheffield, England,
just beginning a PhD, which will entail an examination of the
economic writers of 17th-century England, together with economic
legislation such as the Navigation Acts. As I come from a pure
history background, I would welcome any suggestions for up-to-
date reading on this matters from a 'history of economic thought'
standpoint. I am also interested in the approach suggested by
recent practitioners of the history of science (especially Steven
Shapin), particularly so given that my subject of investigation also
includes 17th-century scientific developments, in areas including
chemistry/alchemy, astrology, and medicine. I would welcome any
contact from those working in the area of 17th-century history of
economic thought, and the approach suggested by history of
science.

Thomas Leng, University of Sheffield