From:
[log in to unmask] (Robert Leeson)
Date:

Brad Bateman wrote: "I have felt for many years that we need a version of
Peter Hall's (edited) collection, _The Political Power of Economic Ideas:
Keynesianism Across Nations_, which is (for the most part) a set of country
case studies of how demand management was (was not) adopted in several
industrialized nations. This is why I had suggested an "international"
group; I was thinking of a study of when and why monetarism had been
adopted
in different countries and when why it was abandoned in its formulation as
theory of macro-policy by monetary aggregate targeting ... I do think that
it might be easier to get funding for a study group focused on your number
four. And the high quality of the Hall volume is due, in part, to the fact
that they had the funding to bring all the  contributors together more than
once to refine and focus the papers (and to invite additional contributions
as their value became more clear, if I remember correctly)."

Brad's comments are spot on (my other three items are not so much in need
of
conference funding).  There are economists within the Reserve Bank of
Australia (including the Governor), the Bank of Canada, the Bank of England
and the Richmond Federal Reserve who have an interest in the interaction
between academic ideas and the policy market place.  Why don't we establish
a Steering Committee with a proposed conference and a planned conference
volume? We could then suggest that these banks (plus others) might like to
jointly fund the conference. Milton Friedman opened the 2000 Bank of Canada
conference on the float of the Canadian dollar by video, and he would I
imagine
be willing to do the same for this conference.

Two nominations for this Steering Committee jump immediately to mind.

Robert Leeson
Murdoch University