Date:
Brad Bateman wrote:

> This is why I had suggested an "international" group; I was thinking of a
> study of when and why monetarism had been adopted in different countries
> and when why it was abandoned in its formulation as a theory of
> macro-policy by monetary aggregate targeting.

I suggest that if such an international group were formed they take a
moment to make a distinction between

1.  "monetarism as a policy that uses the growth rates of  one or more
particular definitions of the money supply as an index of the ease or
tightness of monetary policy"

and

"monetarism" as an orthodox response to those who find the quantity-theory
tradition in economics insightful  especially as it relates to the broader
constraints and limitations on what is possible in the economy.  For
example, among the classical school writers the quantity tradition held
that an overall rise in prices, initiated perhaps by a generalized rise in
wages, would not stick unless the overall supply of cash (liquid) balances
were increased as well.  This doctrine applied to simple versions of
hydraulic Keynesians (those who carried the "Keynesian cross" in academic
teaching) suggest that increases in aggregate demand by themselves  will
not have the effects championed by their advocates unless the cash or
liquid balances of the community were somehow simultaneously increased as
well.

This version of monetarism is a much more profound conceptual orientation
about how the economy actually works, than whether or not a simple policy
heuristic works or doesn't work to guide central bankers and business
leaders when they make forecasts.

I think it makes a big difference as to how we think of monetarism.  In the
case of Keynesianism matters are different.  It was clear that this
movement proclaimed that the orthodox description of how things worked was
deeply flawed.  Both the quantity theory tradition and Say's law were
challenged along with the fundamental theorems of orthodox economics.  In
my view, monetarism is more than "money matters much" but instead a return
and reaffirmation of orthodox methods or reasoning about the economy and
its principal mechanisms and institutions.

Laurence S. Moss