From:
Brian Hyndman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:14:51 -0400
> On the plus side, the infant mortality rate in Canada decreased by 14%
> from 1991 to 1997. Which paradigm (pop health or health promotion) can
> claim credit for that?

Before people start mistaking me for Al Gore, I'll cease and desist with the
statistics. I do not think that health promotion or population health can be
held responsible for any of  the macro-level policy trends mentioned noted
by Dennis and myself --- neither discipline is sufficiently strong,
respected or powerful to take the blame/credit. If you surveyed a
representative sample of 1,000 Canadians, how many of them would be able to
define, or state the difference between, health promotion or population
health? How many would care?

And therein lies the problem.