From:
[log in to unmask] (Benjamin Balak)
Date:

Hi Pat--always a pleasure arguing with you ;-).

In answer to your questions:

1) By "motivated ideological interpretation," I DO NOT mean "intentional distortion of the
true meaning?". "true meaning" is itself probably the biggest "motivated ideological
interpretation" in Western intellectual thought (Derrida traces it to Plato attempting to
establish the non-rhetorical foundation of knowledge in his attacks against the Sophists--
mostly in the Protagoras I think). What I do mean by "motivated ideological
interpretation" is simply the ideological (conscious or not) component of ANY
interpretation (see any number of texts by Warren Samuels for the economics implications
of this).

2) By the "Enronization of society" I was attempting precisely NOT to be specific & to
capture a wide range of socio-economic phenomena in a single catchy phrase (I believe this
is an efficient & appropriate style for a list such as this). We've had the same kind of
arguments on the IPE list concerning the "Talibanization" of Israeli society ;-). Since it
comes up in the context of Smith's Invisible Hand, I assumed that readers are familiar
with the growing body of work re-interpreting (certainly with a motivated ideology) Smiths
ideas. Thus "Enronization" was supposed to capture what Smith had predicted would happen
to a market society who's Enlightened (the era; not a judgment) civic ethical institutions
(external & internalized) no longer function effectively as a constraint on
individualistic accumulation.

Let me know if I'm still unclear
Ben