Date:
Building on Mayhew and Yonay, I offer the following theses:

1. The old institutionalism of Ely and Commons conceived of the economy as
an institutional construct. The distinctive empirical research methodology
of old
institutionalism, comparative institutions and the historical method, were
both adopted mainly as ways of understanding how institutions worked, and
consequently how the larger economy worked.

2. The purpose of understanding was evaluation and improvement. What works
well, and what would work better? In this regard, the old institutionalism
was the economic wing of progressivism, and had deep roots in American
pragmatism.  The purpose of economics as a science was to help us solve the
economic problems we face as a society.

3. The ambitions of institutionalism as an intellectual movement arose out
of the ambitions of the university and the government as social
institutions. The subsequent enormous enlargement of both must, therefore,
be regarded as a huge
victory for institutionalism. But with victory came the
institutionalization of institutionalism, as universities set themselves
the task of producing candidates to meet the demand of the burgeoning
government and quasi-government bureaucracies (and the expanding higher
education industry).

4. The division of (intellectual) labor is limited by the extent of the
market. The widening market for economists fostered specialization, and the
insecurity that comes with it. Different specializations found economic
security in different ecological niches-research universities, public
policy schools, business schools, research organizations, foundations,
government research staff, liberal arts colleges. Some of these niches
proved more hospitable than others to research in the style of the old
institutionalism.

5.  The union card for entering any of these niches has remained the PhD
degree which has remained under the control of the research universities,
even though less than half of economics PhDs enter academia (and even fewer
stay). I gather, from other contributions to this discussion, that there is
general agreement that the research university has not been terribly
hospitable to research in the style of the old institutionalism, at least
insofar as it has not put much energy into training students to continue
that style. Given the history I have recounted, I think we should ask, Why
not?

Perry Mehrling