From:
[log in to unmask] (susan feiner)
Date:
>Anthony Waterman wrote in part:

"What can we do about it?  I should like to suggest that throwing our
students in at the deep end may be just what is needed. At least we should
be treating them as grown-ups, paying them the compliment of supposing that
they come to university to enlarge their minds..

I fully understand this sentiment and have sometimes felt this way myself.
But virtually ALL the evidence on college student learning tells us the
exact opposite! That is, students needs a combination of challenge and
support.  Throwing them in at the deep end is all challenge, no support.

Yes, our students lack reading skills. That means we need to teach them how
to read. One of the reasons they can't read...can't pull meaining out of
words on a page, is because no one has ever asked them to do this before.
All prior education has been textbook-based learning, where there is no
interpretation necessary, everything is cut and dried, spelled out exactly.
The student's job is to get a bunch of facts and definitions and then be
able to repeat them. Which is not the mental process required to read
Smith, or anything of substance.

While it would be delightful if a significant number of our students came
to college knowing how to read, in the way we are using the term, the
reasons why they don't know how to read are complex. Teaching them to read
means making some significant changes in the class, and it does not mean
babying them. It is tough, some will rise to the challenge. Others will be
utterly freaked out.  Same Wineburg's recent editorial in The Chronicle of
Higher Education (April 11, 2003, http://chronicle.com, Section: The
Chronicle Review), entitled "Teaching the Mind Good Habits" may be helpful
on this (and related) points.

Susan