From:
[log in to unmask] (susan feiner)
Date:
Hi All:  I've found that students at all levels appreciate knowing more
about what we mean when we use words like "analyze" or "apply." Which are
terms we probably use a lot in economics classes, especially in history of
thought classes.  The lists below come from "Bloom's Taxonomy of
Educational Goals for the Cognitive Domain." A fancy name...

If you arrange these categories (from knowledge - the simplist cognitive
function as per the verbs that are listed under the heading, knowledge) as
a steps heading up (as hopefully shows up on your screen), this gives
students a very good visual of what you are asking them to do when you say
"think about Smith in relation to Keynes" (whatever).  It will help
students prepare for writing papers if, when you hand out the paper topics,
you spend 15 minutes in class asking students to figure out what categories
of thinking the questions are asking for since their prior training in
economics (standard micro/macro classes) rarely go beyond "apply."  What we
do tend to do is ask students to "apply" the same concepts using
increasingly sophisticated math.  But this would not be the task at hand in
a history of thought class, so it is worth spending some time with students
on the different sorts of "thinking" you will want them to do.

                                                        Evaluate

                                       Synthesize
                                          Analyze

                         Apply
                    Comperhend
Knowledge

KNOWLEDGE: Knows facts
Define
Describe
Identify
Label
List
Match
Name
Outline
Reproduce
Select
State

COMPREHEND: Grasps the meaning of facts
Convert
Defend
Distinguish
Estimate
Explain
Extend
Generalize
Give Examples
Infer
Paraphrase
Predict
Rewrite
Summarize

APPLY: Can use a concept in a new situation
Change
Compute
Demonstrate
Discover
Manipulate
Modify
Operate
Predict
Prepare
Produce
Relate
Show
Solve
Use

ANALYZE: Can relate component parts to their role in the whole
Break down
Diagram
Differentiate
Discriminate
Distinguish
Identify
Illustrate
Infer
Outline
Point Out
Relate
Select
Separate
Subdivde

SYNTHESIZE: Can combine component parts to form a new whole
Categorize
Combine
Compose
Create
Devise
Design
Generate
Modify
Organize
Plan
Rearrange
Reconstruct
Relate
Reorganize
Revise

EVALUATE: Can develop criteria and use to assess alternatives
Appraise
Support
Choose
Compare