AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Suzanne Dubeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanne Dubeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:02:57 -0500
Dear Paul...

I've decided to post this to the list to see how others feel about this
situation.

I remember at last year's AGM that a decision was made then that the
mail-in ballot would be held since we were unable to complete this
business during the regularly scheduled AGM.

However, in trying to find a bit of time to review these proposed
changes yesterday in time to vote, I found myself increasingly
ambivalent about the mail-in ballot approach.  I found that I would have
liked a chance to discuss the implications of the vote in an open forum
in the presence of other AAO members. These are important matters and
time *should* be made to deal with them in the AGM somehow.  In the end,
I could only bring myself to vote as abstaining.

I recognize that the challenges faced by the Board in governing the AAO
are real and that the decision to proceed in this manner was taken for a
reason.  But I also think we need to see whether there are other
approaches we could take to ensure that dealing with AGM issues get the
time and attention they should.

Perhaps in future annual conferences, the AGM should be held over a
lunch, or between two sessions.  This might help keep the AGM to time
while drawing on a larger number of the membership.

Best wishes to all,
Suzanne Dubeau

--
Suzanne Dubeau
Acting University Archivist & Head, Special Collections