AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
"Henry, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Henry, Paul
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:39:07 -0500
Hi Suzanne,

Scheduling of the AGM has been a perennial problem. I recall a few years ago
that the achievement of quorum was dubious, and we were delayed until we
could ascertain that yes, indeed, we had a sufficient number of members at
the conference present at the AGM in order to conduct business.

In an organization such as ours, the AGM is a crucial component of the
governance process. Through the AGM the Board is held accountable for its
actions from the previous year, a new Board is selected, the financial audit
is presented, and other business of import to the association, usually
constitutional, is conducted. This year we had a membership fee increase.
Being not only part of the Board, but a member as well, I was there wearing
three hats (personal, institutional, and Board) -- the AGM (to me at least)
is the voice of the AAO to its Board. Yet over the last six months I have
had members -- who were present at the conference -- ask when the membership
fee increase was discussed, because they had never heard of it.

There have been a number of comments made by members who were able to attend
the ACA Conference, that it might be helpful to adopt the ACA approach of
longer breaks. We see each other so seldom that longer breaks would allow us
to network, talk about the last session, and renew acquaintances. Your
suggestion of the AGM over lunch is an excellent one. Free food makes for a
captive audience, or at least food for thought.

Regards from the frozen east,
Paul