Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 07:54:43 -0500
From:
Barry Crimmins <[log in to unmask]>
7BIT
I read Twain nearly every day and I challenge the policies and conduct
of the Bush Administration on a slightly more frequent basis. For me
the two activities are not mutually exclusive. In my view the
suggestion that "we all get along"  is tantamount to censorship. I
didn't join this group to make friends, I have a million friends. I
didn't join this group to make enemies, who, when I behave myself, may
only number in the low six figures. I joined this list to learn more
about Mark Twain. Lucky for me some Twain-L participants feel our old
friend remains relevant in discussions of current political
circumstances. I believe this would please Mr. Clemens.  It has pleased
me and resulted, not surprisingly, in some new friendships.

I seem to recall suggesting this in a earlier post but in case I
didn't, here it is: Much the same as I wouldn't ask list members to
stop discussing Twain as a tourist attraction or the value of the
contents of his underwear drawer, I'd ask that others not attempt to
impose phony decorum upon those of us who are fascinated by the
political Twain. Just as Twain's various possessions have grown in
value, so have his political views. This forum should welcome exchanges
about either.

And if I had to reduce a suggestion for  list behavior to a statement
that would fit on a tee-shirt then rather than "can't we all get
along," I'll go with: "we can disagree without being disagreeable."

Sincerely,
Barry Crimmins, who has spent far more than a penny attempting to rid
us of the Halliburton subsidiary known as the Bush Administration

PS- I just read Harold's post and it made me feel positively stodgy. I
agree, let's get out of our own way and have some fun.