From:
[log in to unmask] (Samuel Bostaph)
Date:
I didn't say that the authors endorsed it, although "identification" connotes the finding
of something that one considers factual.  I suppose there is some sense in which one
doesn't "endorse" facts.  One just reports them.  I regard a finding of a fact that the
irrational is the feminine to be counter to all my understandings of human nature and
therefore suspect just on the face of it.

Secondly, given that the possession of reason is what distinguishes human beings from
other species, and that reasoning is our species's primary means of survival, flourishing
and personal growth, the irrational is the life-hampering or even life-destroying.  So, to
find the irrational to be the feminine is condemn the feminine.  Unless of course, one's
standard for value judgment is not life, but death.

That's why I said that I didn't think the authors were aware that they were deeming the
irrational the feminine.  Frankly, doing that both horrifies and repels me.

Sam Bostaph