AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
"Henry, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Henry, Paul
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 14:04:25 -0400
PDF files are covered by ISO standard 19005-1. Any tool which complies with the standard will produce accurate exchangeable PDFs. PDFs are actually coded postscript, which would allow you to pull the text out (minus formatting) should the need ever arise. I'd need to look more closely at the standard to see if backwards compatibility has been built-in.

I have used shareware tools in the past (Zeon, and others), but have found the PDFs created by WordPerfect, and now OpenOffice to be transparent to any PDF tool I might use to index or manipulate them. Since switching my home desktops to Linux in the late nineties, I rely on the PDF and postscript generators built right into the operating system (through CUPS -- the Common Unix Printing System).

On a side note, OpenOffice (Sun Microsystems) is quickly becoming a viable Office-replacement. And it stores its documents in either XML format (opendoc, the international standard) or Microsoft proprietary formats. With a little manipulation of the stylesheet, you could probably generate EAD documents. OO is available for all platforms (Win/Mac/Linux) and is a free download.

Cheers,
pjh

----
Paul J. Henry, C.A.