From:
[log in to unmask] (Harry Pollard)
Date:
Sun Dec 31 08:50:48 2006
Sciences begin with axiomatic assumptions, preferably as few as possible -
Bertrand Russell suggested that "two are better than sixteen."

As a matter of fact, all sciences begin with two rarely expressed
assumptions:

"That there is an order in the universe"

and

"That the mind of Man can discover that order."

Without them, there is no science.

Economics has its premises - its initial two assumptions. Fred Foldvary
mentioned that Henry George included the axiomatic "unlimited desires"
assumption However, George buried it and the other assumption among his 160
word sentences. (We seem nowadays to have forgotten the art of the clause.)

I have dragged them to the beginning of any course I write.

"Man's desires are unlimited."

"Man seeks to satisfy his desires with the least exertion."

(I confess I bow to political correctness and insert "People" for "Man".)

These are useful. If the first is true, there can be no such thing as
unemployment.

Perhaps this would move attention away from 'what to do about unemployment'
to "why is there unemployment?'

If the second is true, then the direction of individual action and by
extension societies becomes clear. Why, indeed, counterfeiting, and welfare
fraud are popular and, on the good side, why the better mousetrap becomes a
fact.

It tells us:

One seeks to buy cheap and sell dear;

One prefers more value to less value;

One seeks to advantage oneself rather than disadvantage oneself.

But, of course, everyone knows this is so - which is the whole point.

Harry Pollard