From:
[log in to unmask] (Deirdre McCloskey)
Date:
Mon Mar 24 07:57:55 2008

Dear David and Tony and Pat and All,

Giving unvoted revenue sources to a government is like giving whiskey to
teenage boys.  It's Ship Money.  In fact, giving voted sources is not
much different.

That's my Public-Choicey point here: we need to be construing the
government we actually have, not an imagined group of philosopher kings
who have read Ricardo and Henry George with critical care.  Even sweet
and good Canada doesn't have such a government, eh?

If I wanted to get fancy about it I'd add that we'd do better to take
Second Best a little more seriously.  That we do not live in a world in
which margins are equalized in all other directions has always struck me
as a devastating criticism of proposals for delicately
Pigovian-Samuelsonian social engineering, as my heroes Knight, Buchanan,
Coase have said.  Let's stick with a robust mythology of private
property, which has served us well---after all, here we are, the
descendants of peasants every one, discoursing learnedly, as a result of
that good mythology!

Regards,

Deirdre McCloskey