From:
[log in to unmask] (Mason Gaffney)
Date:
Mon Mar 24 07:59:16 2008
If it were only so simple!
	1. There are at least 11 crowns: Ottawa is one, plus 10 crown
provincials
	2. There are Indian nations with growing sovereign powers
	3. There are "customs" and "traditions", which in Canada, a nation
with no written constitution, carry much force.

	Otherwise, of course, most of Canadian and U.S. land laws derive
from Norman feudalism, as Waterman intimates, but modified by both nations
being federations, not a unitary state like England. Even more, the spirit
of commerce has trumped feudal vassalage, largely. Thus under King Wm. I it
was unthinkable that a foreigner would own land. So we live in a mixed and
mixed-up system of laws, indeed.

Mason Gaffney