From:
[log in to unmask] (Alan G Isaac)
Date:
Tue Mar 25 15:14:18 2008
Pat Gunning wrote:
> If a tax on oil was anticipated, it would reduce the
> incentive to search for oil. The larger the tax, the lower
> the incentive. Oil may be a "gift of nature" but that
> "gift" must be discovered. Take away the reward for
> discovery and you take away the discovery itself.

That feels like a bit of slight of hand at the end,
for two reasons.

1. Discovery can be serendipitous
2. More importantly, taking away some of the reward
   is very different than taking away all of the reward.

When one moves away from natural resource discoveries,
the slight of hand becomes even more misleading,
for the very notion of reward can shift markedly.
(Think art and math, or if you like the success of open
source software.)

Furthermore, even ignoring the non-financial incentives that
clearly have contributed to both cultural and material
progress (if I may use the word), raising the reward to
productive discovery can be a bad thing, as illustrated by
post-Chakrabarty patent law in the US.

Finally, as a matter of political economy, it seems to me
that those who speak loudest for rewards to discovery are
most often talking about rewards to resources they already
control or are highly likely to control.  (Think of the
battles of US copyright law, the last major change of which
is often called the Mickey Mouse protection act.)  This is
one other reason why I bother to harass Pat over what might
seem to have been a simple and common sense observation.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac