From:
[log in to unmask] (Polly Cleveland)
Date:
Mon Mar 24 07:53:44 2008

>David writes:

>It is also very hard to clearly distinguish site value from the structure
>value in practice, and thus as a practical matter, the Georgian proposals
>can be difficult to implement, and will cause problems. But in some cases
>the proprosals make sense as long as one recognizes the limitations.

Please, whether we're fur or agin land taxation, let's not get hung up on
feasibility of separating land from buildings. Here in New York City, the
Empire State Building and the land under it belong to different investors.
As any professional appraiser will tell you, it is very easy to estimate
land values: just take sales of vacant or run-down property, and
extrapolate. I myself once mapped land in downtown San Francisco. In
Australia, where they take land taxes seriously, assessors can predict
selling prices to within plus or minus 10%. Try getting that kind of
accuracy in estimating income for tax purposes!

Polly Cleveland