From:
[log in to unmask] (John C. Médaille)
Date:
Tue Mar 25 17:20:39 2008
Pat Gunning wrote:
>----------------- HES POSTING -----------------
>Doug Mackenzie wrote:
>>
>>Such things are not fixed in stone, and vary according
>>to context. I suspect that a land/resource tax might
>>generate "enough" revenue in Saudi Arabia.
>

>If a tax on oil was anticipated, it would reduce
>the incentive to search for oil.

This implies a linear relationship between
incentives and production. So that if the
incentive at $50/barrel is X, then the incentive
at $100/barrel is 2X., and at $150 it is 3X, etc.
So, is there no point of diminishing returns on
incentives? The real question is whether
incentives are unique among all economic
phenomena in that they do not have a diminishing
marginal utility. I rather doubt that.

John C. M?daille