From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 22:15:41 -0400
John Médaille wrote:

>>John, I am proposing a 100% reserve system in
>>which the government controls the quantity of
>>currency (federal reserve notes and coins).
>Thanks for the clarification, Pat, but I didn't
>see the mechanism. Are you saying the gov't
>should control the quantitity of (money?
>currency?) by just printing it? I don't
>necessarily disagree, I just want to understand what you are saying.
Exactly, John, except that it only has to print
it once (and replace the deteriorated bills with new ones)..

>>I would prefer a commodity-based system like a
>>gold standard in order to completely avoid the
>>possibility of discretionary monetary policy.
>>However, I don't think that this is politically feasible.
>Well, it wouldn't have been feasible in the last
>two weeks, when the price of gold fluctuated up
>and down by about 10% in either direction. I
>don't know of anybody who could do business
>under those circumstances. How would you price
>things? You would have to look in the paper each
>morning to find out if your money would buy a loaf of bread or just a slice.
Why do you think that the gold price fluctuated?
Was the fluctuation due to the demand and/or
supply of gold? Or was it due to a speculative
flight to and away from gold out of a concern for
holding money, which many think is on the verge
of losing a great deal of purchasing power.

Pat Gunning