From:
"Medema, Steven" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:23:46 -0400
In 2007, I received an email message from a professor who was doing
some research in law and economics, alerting me that he had read a
paper of mine published in a North American journal and shortly
thereafter saw what appeared to be essentially the same paper,
published under another author's name, in an Eastern European
journal. He sent me a pdf of the latter, and it turned out that at
least 90 percent of this article was copied directly from mine.

I contacted the editors of the journal that had published the
plagiarized work, and they were quite embarrassed by the whole thing.
They published an apology in a subsequent issue of their journal and
removed the article and abstract from the journal's web pages. They
also sent a letter to the Dean of the Faculty of Economics at the
home university of the offending professor.

I do happen to think that you should contact the editors of the
journal. As a former journal editor, I would want to have this
information. These episodes cast the journal in a bad light, and
editors are very concerned to protect the integrity of their
journals. And as a faculty member and former promotion and tenure
committee member at my university, I can tell you that the university
and the home department, too, should be concerned about these things.
Indeed, my university is in court over allegations of plagiarism on
the part of one of its faculty members (the infamous "Ward Churchill
case," for those of you who follow events in the academy in the US),
allegations that led to the termination of this professor.

Steve Medema