From:
mason gaffney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 2010 04:17:26 -0700
Re Roger Sandilands fascinating comment on what is "money", let me add that
there have been cyclical and secular swings in what serves as a medium of
payment, so it is in vain to seek a changeless definition. Examples:
1. Before 1836, "wildcat" bank notes served as money, being backed by the
U.S. Land Office's accepting them in payment for public lands. This policy
had the effect of "monetizing" vast areas of land. Then, suddenly, President
Jackson issued his "specie circular", demonetizing all that land.
2. Less spectacularly, speculative land values have changed from highly
liquid to the opposite at the peak of every land cycle. This is far from
ancient history! From about 2007-date our homes have changed from ATM
machines to money pits; from liquid to illiquid assets.
3. In the 19-oughts, "Trusts" developed, doing the business of banks,
although not called that, hence not regulated and not even very closely
observed - until the panic of 1907. The trusts did what lenders have always
done during land booms, they moved lending from commercial loans to mortgage
loans.
4. On Greenspan's watch, a huge shadow banking "system" developed,
unregulated, highly praised by Friedmaniacs as free enterprise at its best
and most innovative. Quality control withered; subprime mortgages
flourished; the rest is history, current history! Blame it all on Fannie Mae
and Freddie Mac and Barney Frank?  Nice try, Ayn-Randians, but I don't think
so!  Paul Krugman has easily torpedoed that one (although I am NOT a
Krugmaniac, either).

Mason Gaffney