Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2012 16:00:49 +0000
7bit
From:
Ben Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Sorry to chime in again, from my completely non-expert vantage, but I just don't see (and am a little offended by) the implied designation of Twain as a comedian! Yes, he was hilariously funny, and of course he was one of the most incisive satirists we've known, so those names listed do qualify for those traits. But what he was, essentially, as I see it, was a fabulist - with a fabulous (no pun) sense of humor, and a paradigm-shifting sense of satire. I don't see any of those listed names corresponding to this essential quality except Keillor, who tells tales - fictional ones, about real life - with a level of humor and satire worthy of the Twain legacy.

I've said my unqualified peace! Thanks for the opp.

Ben