From:
"Martin D. Zehr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2011 08:30:30 -0700
Not exactly a reference, but a connection nonetheless.  In my Twain library I have the remnants of a volume from Clemens's library, titled Clubs and Club Life in London, by John Timbs, published in London by John Camden Hotten, circa 1872.  It's inscribed "Saml L Clemens  Hartford, 1875," and includes a chapter on the Garrick Club.
Martin Zehr
Kansas City