From:
Riccardo Faucci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:36:58 +0100
Since the topic is extremely important, why you don't offer the
opportunity also for a reflection on what happened in not-English-speaking
countries? In Italy, for instance, there has been a longstanding tradition
of "economists as preachers" in magazines, newspapers etc. Often the same
personas who held charis in economics or public finance  were  at the same
time  members of  parliament and/or government. The case of Luigi Einaudi,
who did not cease from collaborating in magazines while he was governor of
the Bank of Italy, later on vice-preident of the council and subsequentlu
preident of the Italian republic, is but the extreme case (Note that
Einaudi considered England as a model of a society where public opinion
was really forged by economists).
Riccardo Faucci