From:
Kevin Hoover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 17:38:33 -0400
A couple of years ago, I received an e-mail from someone in Germany
who reported to me that a paper of Italian student plagiarized my
book, The New Classical Macroeconomics, and, even more heavily, a
book by another historian of macroeconomics.  A humorous aspect of
this was that I had in fact refereed the paper for a journal.  My
report noted the utter lack of originality and was negative, but I
did not catch the fact that the words were exactly mine.  In
mitigation, my book was written nearly 20 years before.  I protested
directly to author, to the editor of the journal to which the paper
was submitted, to the Italian society that had given the author a
prize based on the paper and to the other author who was
plagiarized.  I was shocked by the initial reaction of all
parties:  the plagiarizing author never replied; the editor was
inclined to excuse the author on the grounds of youth, as was the
head of the society; the other plagiarized author was apparently not
very incensed by the theft.  Nevertheless, I insisted that the
behavior was unacceptable and, ultimately, the paper was rejected
from the journal and the prize withdrawn.

The case does, I think, illustrate the normal problem with plagiarism.
At least in the U.S., it is regarded as -- in principle -- a serious
matter, which could, for instance, result in dismissal from an
academic job.  But in practice, editors or others in authority, are
wont to minimize the problem and to take little action unless
forced.  As a community, we are insufficiently outraged.  My own view
is that the editor in Guido Erreygers report is
irresponsible.  Publishing a plagiarized paper is a black mark
against the journal.  The editor has a moral obligation to
investigate and to publish a notice in the journal, and to contact
the plagiarizing author to let him know that the behavior is
unacceptable.  He should probably go further than that and contact
the author's department chair or dean.  And if the editor neglects to
do so, the plagiarized author would be justified and, indeed, would
be doing good for the community to make such contact himself.

Kevin Hoover