From:
John Médaille <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:39:51 -0400
Kevin Hoover wrote:
>A couple of years ago, I received an e-mail from
>someone in Germany who reported to me that a
>paper of Italian student plagiarized my book,
>The New Classical Macroeconomics, and, even more
>heavily, a book by another historian of
>macroeconomics.  A humorous aspect of this was
>that I had in fact refereed the paper for a
>journal.  My report noted the utter lack of
>originality and was negative, but I did not
>catch the fact that the words were exactly
>mine.  In mitigation, my book was written nearly 20 years before.

Not too long ago, I got into a discussion with a
Prominent Economist (who shall remain nameless),
over the interpretation of a certain point from
Minsky. In the course of the discussion, I
"lifted" a long passage without revealing the
source. The PE proceeded to belittle the passage.
I then explained that it was the PE's own words,
a direct quote from an article he had published only one month before.

He got quite angry. I thought his head was going
to explode. Sometimes I think people (including
myself) are more interested in the argument than in the truth.

John C. Médaille