From:
"Rosser, John Barkley - rosserjb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2011 20:53:37 +0000
On the one hand in general P and Q are simultaneously determined, while OTOH in particular markets one can argue that one is more exogenous than the other, with the bread example one supporting the Marshallian placement of the axes.  I think the problem arises now as to why it is that at the Principles level the stories get told more the Cournot-Walras way with P sounding "more exogenous" is that in the initial presentations of the law of supply and demand in most textbooks, what gets introduced immediately as part of the explanation is what will happen if some naughty government imposes some sort of regulation of price, with the canonical textbook examples being price floors for agricultural commodities or price (or sometimes labor as in a minimum wagye) and price ceilings for housing rents.  In engaging in this sort of discussion, it is natural to pose P as the more exogenous variable that the naughty governments can cause problems by messing with the markets by trying to fix rather than just letting the good old free market work is Pareto optimal magic by letting P go to its equilibrium.  All of this clearly puts Q on the sidelines, even if in later discussions things causing supply curves to shift by some exogenous influence on P will get considered.