From:
Lilia Costabile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2011 17:04:18 +0100
I think there are (at least) two ways to approach "the idea of development", which we may broadly and imperfectly classify as the "internal" and the "external" one.

The first approach tries to answer questions like the  following ones: why did development economics start (or re-start) as an autonomous field after WWII,  which interests and/or ideology did it serve, etc.
The second one would lead one to ask if and, in case, which insights it provided and /or can still provide in order to understand how countries develop,  suggest policy instruments, etc. In the latter approach, it would also be of interest to study how the subject changed in its evolution (e.g. from the traditional macroeconomic and structuralist approach, to an 'institutionalist' perspective in recent years).

Of course , the two approaches may be related: for instance some commentators have argued that the recent emphasis on social capital, or lack thereof, as well as the allegation of crony capitalism for less developed countries were means in the strategy of pushing forth liberalizations in the interest  of  developed countries.
Both approaches are worth exploring, as well as their reciprocal links. However,  in order to develop a clear research strategy, I think it would be useful  to distinguish between the two sets of questions.

May I add that I do not think that the very etymology of  the word "development" (and hence, perhaps, the field in its  "substance") reveals a teleological prejudice of the type suggested by Daniele: you may wish to promote " the growth and unfolding of what is in the germ" (according to meaning 3 in OED as you reported it, Daniele), respecting exactly what is in germ in the country, i.e. by  taking into account and respecting its specific characters, strengths, problems, and the ends expressed by its population .
Best,
Lilia Costabile