From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 13:44:56 -0400
Sumitra, surely you realize that many others besides women were locked
out of all sorts of endeavors in Smith's time. Smith, in his
contribution to economics as a science of the study of how the consumer
role benefits from the market system and/or from market intervention,
was not writing so much about the societies of his time as he was about
a hypothetical situation of "natural liberty."

Relating this to the quote from Michele Pujol, it surely is irrelevant
whether the brewer, baker, and butcher are male or female; whether the
pin factory manager is male or female; or whether women or men, acting
in their own interest, often benefit others in this "hypothetical
situation."

As for the the sexual division of labor, it seems to me that some
aspects of what Michele has in mind are not part of a market economy
(which assumes the use of money). The fact that, in this quote at least,
she makes no distinction between market and non-market actions or
transactions suggests that she has not paid sufficient attention to the
what economics, as I defined it above, is about. Economics, as I defined
it, also does not pay direct attention to barter systems, human
development, higher-level primate cultures, and a host of other things
that some people regard as important. But that is not a critique of
economics; it is more a lament by one who had some ideological agenda.

I submit that so-called feminist economists, like most economists
(including, sadly, the historians of the subject), simply don't care
very much about the definition of economics. They have discovered other
ways to make headway in today's diverse economics profession.

--
Pat Gunning
Professor of Economics